Sunday, August 8, 2010

MBA in a nutshell - what's the fuss all about!

As I take my last few exams and close the first half of my MBA, I take a step back to identify what this journey was like. I start identifying the gap between my earlier perception of what MBA's are all about and what I am turning into. I came here to realise my dreams of rising up the corporate ladder, with a belief that senior management does some rocket science to run the company, and that I need to know it all. The traditional notions conveyed strongly that even coal when subjected to intense transformation turns into diamond, and that the rigor of an MBA was just the right catalyst for that transformation. I strongly believed that putting myself into that rigor and doing this MBA would do the needful in pushing me up that ladder.

Was it all true? Yes! And No!
Through this period at B-School, I had no clues as to what I was doing. Deeply embedded into those hundreds of case studies, I had no time to think, and had to catch up with a whole set of subjects like accounting decision making stuff and corporate finance, to name a few areas. To drill deeper into this rabbithole, I wish to identify and sum up what I gained with this all.

I have come to understand that I understand more of more now. With a hands-on exercise on the inside details of what happens in the finance world, economics, global trade, and a learning of corporate strategy, organizational dynamics and marketing through detailed analysis of numerous cases, what have I gained?

A better understanding of the corporate world I live in, the environment and the factors that influence corporate decision making, and tips and tools of decision making - I think that sums it up. Overall, MBA to me now is all about general knowledge (or awareness as we may simplistically call) and decision making. That is what I reckon makes those non-MBA enterpreuners iconic examples for us. They are naturally good at decision making and are inherently curious to be sufficiently aware.
So, MBA is no rocket science, it is plain learning fun - unplugged - simple!

:) Have Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Pankaj is a software professional with a wide spectrum of experiences in the services and products sectors, along with the hosted solutions. With an acute inclination towards management, he is currently on a job-break, pursuing full-time MBA from SPJain Center of Management. This blog is a generic reflection of his ideas and learnings over the past three decades.

Followers